Take Charge of Your Health with Corinne and Carol
Carol has partnered with Corinne Furnari, nutritional practitioner and physician assistant since 2013. Take Charge of Your Health is a long running radio program at www.WBAI.org in the Pacifica network serving the greater New York City area and also appears at Progressive Radio Network www.prn.fm.
We strive to bring the latest information to our listeners. We pull information from conferences, thought leaders, medical and popular literature and discuss how this information can translate into practical tips.
We believe that knowledge is power and that each of us can and should empower ourselves to make the best decisions for extraordinary health and successful aging. Take advantage of the shows archived here.
Learn along with us! And Take Charge of Your Health.
Take Charge of Your Health Radio Shows
- by takechargeofyourhealthDuring the holiday seasons, digestive problems may be magnified. Corinne and Dr. Z talk about the herbs that may help as they describe the digestive process
- by takechargeofyourhealthIs cortisol the death hormone or an important antiaging hormone. We discuss the multiple roles of this critical hormone. Listen for causes of low cortisol, how you can easily use cortisol and what the signs and symptoms are of long term deficiencies
- by takechargeofyourhealthToday we interview Dr. Tom Cowan, author of Human Heart, Cosmic Heart and many more. His parting message to us is "Question everything!". We discuss why the model of the heart as a pump simply makes no sense and cannot be the mechanistic way the heart really works. We discuss the heart as the energy […]
- by takechargeofyourhealthDr. Frank Shallenberger in his September Issue of Second Opinion wrote a very thorough description of a new classification of disease – mast cell activation syndrome. This is difficult to diagnose, no good tests exist and the symptoms involve many organ systems. The unifying principle is the release of histamine and the consequences.
- by takechargeofyourhealthWe've learned that the synthetic analogs of opioids have wrecked havoc on our society. Perhaps we should have just stayed with the extracts of the poppy. Naturopath Dr. Eugene Zamperion discusses other natural options to relieve pain in his book " Supplements for Pain : Comprehensive Natural Help for Arthritis, Fibromyalgia and Other Inflammatory Conditions". […]
- by takechargeofyourhealthWe review the testing available for osteoporosis and discuss the advantages and problems with various testing modalities. Too often, based on testing, people are encouraged to use drugs that block bone resorption thus interfering with normal bone turnover and healthy bones.
- by takechargeofyourhealthOften ignored, melatonin is one of the most abundant of the body's hormones. We discuss its importance as an antioxidant, a metabolic clock and it's help and production during the sleep cycle and more.
- by takechargeofyourhealthLab testing for evaluating the state of your health or illness can be both helpful and harmful. We discuss some of the problems with thyroid parameters not being tested and what some of the cholesterol markers mean and how these can be evaluated in context with other tests and clinical presentations.
- by takechargeofyourhealthCopper is a two edged sword. Deficiencies are common and affect how hemoglobin is made. Under other conditions copper could become toxic.
- by takechargeofyourhealthWe are going back to the basics discussing some essential nutrients. This show highlights one of the major electrolytes in the body -potassium. Learn about function and how to get it into the diet and how to supplement if needed.
- by takechargeofyourhealthThere is a body of research that confirms health benefits for exposure to cold and cold baths. Corinne's nephew Joe who is a cold bath enthusiast helps kick start the discussion.
- by takechargeofyourhealthThe first oral contraceptive has been approved for non prescription sales. Clinical biochemist Dr. Phyllis Bronson joins us to discuss the implications. We are in agreement that women need to know the risks to their endocrine system by regularly ingesting an altered molecule. It is still important that women make their own life choices. We […]
- by takechargeofyourhealthThe use of progesterone is essential for PMS, PMDD and much more as one of our primary and most abundant hormones. Yet, the literature confuses synthetic analogs and muddies the picture of progesterone. Deliberate or not?
- by takechargeofyourhealthMenstrual cycles are not meant to be painful and life limiting. Known sometimes as "the curse", we discuss what can be done to help with heavy menstrual flow, cramping, endometriosis, PCOS and more. Birth control pills have been a catch all solution for young women but actually disturb our endocrinology further.
- by takechargeofyourhealthThe changes in seasons make for special considerations. It's possible to build up more vitamin D. People may get more exercise because of the improved temperatures. What do you do with excessive sweating? How should salt be replenished.
- by takechargeofyourhealthThe deficiency of progesterone creates huge problems in women's health. Even though Dr. Katharine Dalton championed the use of progesterone and described the deficiency symptoms in the 1950, way too many women suffer still with PMS, PCOS,infertility, PMDD, mental disorders,fibroid, heavy bleeding, hysterectomies, ovarian cysts, The lack of progesterone is solidly behind all these issues.
- Take Charge of Your Health: Corinne and Carol Meet with Dr. Sandy Ziya to Discuss Teens and Young Adultsby takechargeofyourhealthDr. Sandy Ziya is functional medicine physician and also a triathlete including finishing 4 iron man competitions. We discuss how our conventional medicine practices can harm teens and adults and importantly how we can reach out and coach young people struggling with issues.
- by takechargeofyourhealthDr. Chris Shade, creator of Quicksilver Scientific, provides mercury and heavy metal testing, detoxification programs with nutrients and herbs. We discuss liver detoxification, binders, the important of bile and bitters in detoxification.
- by takechargeofyourhealthDr. Dekel joins Corinne to Speak about the Decline in Sperm Counts
- by takechargeofyourhealthDr. Thomas Lewis and his colleagues at Health Revival Partners have tightened the results of lab tests to have better prediction of mortality and morbidity. Dr. Lewis points out that current lab testing can yield different results when changing labs, the reference ranges do not ensure health nor do the references always indicate disease. Clearly […]